Summer break is coming to an end for many of our students at Rock Island! They will begin classes a week from today. Our desire is to send each of them back to school with backpacks & school supplies so that when they hit the classroom the first day they will be prepared & ready to learn!
Here’s a list of several items we need to get them started:
Washable Regular markers
Pocket folders w/brads
We have plenty of backpacks for our students that are allowed to take the basic, commonly used backpacks that are not transparent, but many of our students are required to have clear/transparent backpacks.
You are welcome to drop off items anytime at Cross & Crown on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday between 8:00-4:00, Thursday 12:30-3:00, or you are welcome to contact us to arrange a pickup of larger supply donations. If you are unable to get out & purchase supplies, but would still like to help you can give financially towards this effort by way of cash, check or PayPal (email@example.com). Thank you!
Summer time is a busy time here at Cross & Crown. We continue with our daily ministries, but add lots of kids to the mix! The addition of youth comes in two primary forms: kids from the neighborhood and youth groups coming from near and far to help. The addition of these young helpers adds excitement, provides extra hands, and ups the noise level a bit 🙂
We continue to need help from adults, college students, and other more seasoned individuals to assist in the prayer room throughout the summer. To go along with our normal serving opportunities throughout the day we have a special opportunity for individuals and family units to help out with this summer.
This summer in an effort to build off the momentum from our after-school tutoring at Rock Island we will be hosting a night of literacy every Monday evening during the summer months with the hopes and intention of continuing to assist kids on their journey of reading. If you would like to learn more about this opportunity be sure to reply to this post, call us, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, here’s a look at the schedule for Rock Island beginning June 11th.
The months of November and December are interesting in the life and function of a non-profit such as Cross & Crown. We, like many, celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas with those in our community as we reflect on God’s goodness, His provision, and the work He’s about in our lives, the neighborhood, and the world at large. It is a time of thanks, reflection, and excitement as we look forward to the future good we anticipate as God’s kingdom coming down becomes more and more of a reality.
These months also bring difficult truths and realities to the forefront of our thoughts and minds. November and December bring cold weather. Old homes with cracks and failing roofs lead to cold nights for parents and children. Those fortunate enough to have central heat and air are now faced with the difficult decision to crank the heat up to keep the house warm or save a few bucks so they can use their money to pay for new winter jackets for their growing kids.
One of our efforts during the holiday months is to help eliminate the difficult decision many parents, grandparents, and caregivers have to make in deciding between a warm house and warm clothing. Our desire is to provide new, warm jackets to those who need them, as well as, provide some alternate sources of heat for homes such as (electric) space heaters .
If you are interested in helping with warm jackets you can do it three different ways.
- Contact us directly and we can provide you with specific ages, sizes, and preferences for a family we are in relationship with in the community.
- Go out on your own and buy adult sizes, youth sizes, and children sizes. We have a great need for all sizes. Whatever you buy/bring will be used.
- Give financially and let us go buy the jackets we know we need for specific families and individuals. You can give financially by way of cash, check or PayPal by CLICKING HERE.
If you are interested in helping with electric space heaters, this is how you can help.
- Go to your store of choice and purchase however many space heaters you can afford to give. Then, bring them by when you get a chance. If you’re needing help knowing which to buy, CLICK HERE– but any will do.
– You can get this specific heater at Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon and several other places. If you buy online you are welcome to have them sent directly to us at
Cross & Crown Mission
1008 N. Mckinley
Oklahoma City, Ok 73106
2. Give financially and let us purchase the heaters ourselves. You can give financially by way of cash, check or PayPal by CLICKING HERE
The 2018-2019 Oklahoma City school year has begun! Yes, that’s right. OKCPS starts tomorrow! Every school year we host an after school program at Rock Island. In year’s past during this time we fed the kids, played games, socialized, studied the Bible, and built relationship. Last year we decided to be more intentional with our younger students by pairing mentors with students, getting others to help tutor, and gathering a handful of other volunteers that want to help set up, clean up, and make food. We believe these efforts were successful! Students grew in their understanding of the Bible and who Jesus is, many improved academically, and each child was loved, welcomed, and invited into a safe place. And, don’t worry. We still had plenty of hang out/goof off time too.
We will continue this program and will officially begin AUGUST 27th!!! So, there is still plenty of time to sign up and help out. If you are interested in being involved, have any questions or need more information, please, don’t hesitate to ask! Here’s an overview of what we’re needing and how you can be involved:
Who – Any and everyone. We need single people, married couples, those with their own kids they want to bring to help and/or participate in the tutoring, men, woman, young, old. You get the idea.
What – Tutoring and relationship building. We will provide the material/curriculum. You just show up between 4:45-5:30 and we will pair you with a kid or two (hopefully the same kid/s every time). You and your students will work on school given homework, material we provide that discusses the Bible, character building traits, and some life skills.
When – Monday evenings 4:45-6:00. The actual tutoring will require around 30 minutes. You can show up at 5:00, knock out the tutoring and then hang out with your student until we close or you are welcome to show up at 5:30, help with tutoring and then be on your way.
Where – Rock Island Youth Center – 1528 NW 9th OKC, OK 73106
EMAIL for more info – email@example.com
Several years back as a part of our effort to reclaim run down, dilapidated homes in the neighborhood we began purchasing properties, restoring them and making them available to our neighbors. Our desire is to empower, sustain, and solidify families and individuals in the community by working towards home ownership. This ministry effort is called, “Rebuilding the Walls”, and is a reflection of the scripture given to us in Isaiah 58.
Currently we own 5 homes in the neighborhood and 3 of these have been restored, structurally solidified, and, in some aspects, rebuilt. Our objective and desire is to restore the homes but to do so in a fashion and manner that is consistent with the neighborhood and the homes nearby. The 3 homes that have been restored each have family units living in them and are working towards home ownership.
The 2 other homes that we own are sitting and waiting. Both of these homes have been worked on by groups and individuals to get them to a point where they are ready to receive professional work. In years past we would pay professionals (and as often as possible employ individuals from the neighborhood) to come in and work on plumbing, electrical, and heat/air. Currently we don’t have the ability to do so.
(Pictured: The home needing plumbing & heat/air help.)
So, what we are asking individuals, small groups, girl scouts, churches, and everyone in between is to help us raise $8,000 ($4,000 for plumbing/$4,000 for heat/air) to allow us to complete one of the homes that has been sitting for about a year. Upon professional completion this will allow us to put several volunteer, workgroups to work on the home to finish up! Once said workgroups finish their job we will be ready to place a new family unit in the home and see what God has in store for them next!
(Pictured: New back patio & inside look at the home.)
If you would like to contribute directly to this project you can give online through PayPal by clicking here or write a check and write, “Rebuilding the Walls”, in the memo. You can mail the check, drop it off yourself or we would be happy to meet you at a time and place that works best for you.
If you are a professional who would like to give of time and/or resources or know someone who might be interested in doing so you can contact us by filling out the short form below, giving us a call at (405) 232-7696 or just drop by and tell us yourself!
Thank you in advance for partnering with us in this work God has allowed each of us to be a part of here at Cross & Crown. We are continually blown away by God’s goodness and the work He is about in the hearts of people that want to honor Him in their lives by loving and serving others!
The holiday season provides a unique opportunity for giving and serving those in our community and city. It’s always exciting to see new families and individuals reach out with a desire to partner and serve others. Our hope is that in and through these ‘seasons of giving’ relationships will be built and seasons of giving will turn into lives of giving!
Going into this (still) new year we hope & plan to do our best in keeping you all up to date with on-going needs of both the ministry as a whole, as well as, individual needs of our neighbors. We learned early on that ministry is a team sport and done best in community. There’s only one MVP in ministry – Jesus – but He invites us to partner with Him in restoring life, bringing about justice, and righting wrongs, amongst other things. Will you partner with us as we partner with Him?
We have added a new page at the top right labeled “Needs”. There we will keep an on-going list of needs and add to them periodically as needed. Also, we will update our Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram accounts for quick, short updates. If you are able to help with a specific need we post or can offer some assistance in some form or fashion please email us at crossandcrownmission@gmail, reply to the post or call us at (405) 232-7696.
Here is a short list of some current needs…
1. Food pantry volunteer – come for an hour (or more) on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday anytime between 8:30-1:00 to help organize and prepare food boxes to distribute to our neighbors that come for assistance with food.
2. Prayer room volunteer – come on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday at 10:15am and serve by meeting with those who come for all forms of assistance by sitting down with them, filling out paperwork, and praying with them. Typically done by 12:15-12:30.
3. Rebuilding the walls – we are in constant need of professionals or those with skill-sets to assist with plumbing, electrical work, roofing, painting, ect. to help us as we acquire dilapidated homes in the neighborhood and restore them for those seeking home ownership (read more about this effort here.)
4. Rock Island/youth volunteer – come for one or two hours between the hours of 3:00-5:00 on a Monday or 2:30-4:30 on a Wednesday to prepare snacks, guide young kids on computers, play video games with teenage boys or sit & chat with a group of girls. Also, we could use 1 or 2 volunteers on Thursday afternoons between the hours of 3:00-5:00 to assist middle-school & high-school students as they navigate the Bible & dive into scripture to consider different topics.
5. As a 501(c)(3) we are in constant need of financial support. Each of our full-time staff members are responsible for raising their own support. In addition to individual fundraising of staff members we have special efforts and ongoing ministry efforts (such as the Whittier school building & Rebuilding the Walls) that require additional funds in order for us to move forward as we do our best to develop resources we believe are helpful & necessary for our community.
If you would like to offer support, you can do so by way of check or HERE through PayPal – (you don’t have to have a PayPal account to give through PayPal. You can use a credit or debit card.)
If you prefer to write a check, please, make a check payable to “Cross and Crown Mission” and write either “Operations” in the memo portion or designate the staff member’s name of your choice in the memo portion. Mail it to the following address:
Cross and Crown Mission
1008 N. McKinley
OKC, OK 73106